New Year's Day 2016
We had a great breakfast with Charla, Paul and the kids then it was time to pack up and head home.
The new snow was just too tempting for the kids, so they only went in the house to put on snow pants then they played outside and went sliding. I was inside for a little while, maybe half an hour and checked through the window or sliding door every few minutes, yet somehow by the time I got out there Darcy had been injured and no one came to get me.
Darcy said, "Mommy I got hurt here," and pointed at her eye. She wasn't distressed about it, she said it matter-of-factly and there was a tiny red mark, so not wanting to create a problem where there didn't seem to be one, I dismissed it.
We continued to play outside and I cleaned the snow and ice off the boat until Cam's mom came to get him. At that point we all went inside and it was Cam's mom who noticed Darcy's face/eye had a bruise. I guess between the cold and her scarf covering her face it was hard to see outside. I asked her to tell me what happened and she said it happened sliding with Cam, so I figured she slid into something or into Cam. Later, as it swelled, I asked her for more details. She said Cam passed her his sled and it hit her in the face. She seemed unperturbed (where she is usually quick to blame Cam), so I left it at that.
A couple of hours later she had quite a bump and it looked like this:
At this point I knew it was more than a simple bump handing off a sled. She finally told me that she was crouching at the top of the hill and Cam pushed/threw the sled up the hill toward her. It hit her from underneath the eye, luckily not in the eye. I am sure Cam didn't do it on purpose to hurt her, he was probably just in a hurry to go off and do something else and didn't think about it at all. She did get hurt and there will be no more unsupervised play.
The next morning (Jan 2)
A week later (Jan 7)
Now, Jan 13, she has a small dark bruise right under her eye, but the rest has completely cleared up. The sled is a rigid plastic, V-shaped sled and I would imagine the remaining bruise is where to tip hit her.
She's a tough cookie, though, and except for the first night she never complained.



No comments:
Post a Comment