Dear Darcy,
Cam's last first day!!
The kids have progressive entry due to Covid.
When I first check the online transportation tool, Cameron was assigned a bus, the same one as always, but Darcy was not!! How does that make any sense??? Both kids live at the same address, get picked up at the same time, by the same bus... one kid gets it and one doesn't???
I called and was told that because Darcy goes to the elementary and that school is close to our house, she was removed from the bus. Cameron goes to high school (and yes they are on the same bus at the same time), and it's farther from our house, he gets a bus. This all due to Covid restrictions to limiting children to sit with siblings or alone. WELL HER SIBLING IS ON THE BUS!
I was told to fill out the form... well I DID!!! I made it very clear that I often walk to the elementary school, as a sub, and it can be VERY difficult in bad weather and there was no way my 11 year old was going to do that. In fact, I would drive her there myself in bad weather, even if that meant having to miss or be late to work - for the same school board - in a pandemic when subs are not only badly needed, but in very short supply. Even the school secretary filled out a second form on my behalf. Still no.
I started to talk to anyone that would listen and put it on FB. The night before she started school she was granted her bus back!! WOOT WOOT
I went off to work at a client's (gardening) for the morning, had lunch with my mom and was home on time to meet Darcy at the bus. She was very emotional. Pandemic school is just not the same. The classes can't mingle, so if you're best friend is in another class, even in the same grade, you can't speak or do anything together. Masks are necessary, hand sanitizer all. the. time. There are zones in the school yard for each class and you have to stay in it. And so much more. But at least they are going to school and not on a Zoom meeting!!
No comments:
Post a Comment