Kevin's friend, Daniel, goes ice fishing on a regular basis and has a cabin on the ice and he invited us to bring the kids. A mutual friend and his son, Olivier, who goes to school with Cameron also came along. The temperature this morning was nice (around -5 C), but the wind out on the lake made it SOOOO COLD!!!
.
Setting up. Daniel let the boys help hold the drill.
.
We were allowed 10 holes. The drill went in its full length, so the ice was really thick! However, on the weekend the weather was mild and it rained, so the organization in charge was obliged to remove all the cabins from the ice! That meant there was no warm room with a fire and nowhere to go to the bathroom (or change a diaper).
.
Cameron and Olivier helping Daniel bait the lines.
.
Darcy making a snow angel.
.
The lines all set-up. Darcy is still making snow angels.
.
Kevin scooping the ice and slush out of the holes. At one point Darcy decided she wanted to do this and we around to each hole and cleaned them out.
.
.
Olivier pulling Cameron around on a sled. Darcy having a tailgate party for 1.
.
The kids. Because there was so much wind and no cabin, the men (I was the only women there) parked the trucks in a line to make a wind break.
.

Cam and Olivier on the toboggan behind the 4-wheeler. Oliver's dad, Dominic drove them around for a while. Then Olivier took over. I was really impressed with this 6-year-old's skill. He pulled Cameron on the toboggan at 15 km/hour! Then they went for a ride together. They even let Cameron try it and he was really good!!!
.

We packed a picnic lunch and these kids found a warm-ish place to eat. Good thinking!
.

Darcy went a step above and simply asked for the "Jeep!"...that's my smart cookie! She ended up spending a lot of time in there. She's never in the front seat, so she explored all the buttons and knobs and locked us out. Luckily I had a spare key in my pocket. She even tried to drive the Jeep, as you'll see in the video below.
.

My view from inside the Jeep as the men were packing up everything. At this point (we'd been there about 3 hours), my feet were numb, I had to pee, Darcy surely had a wet bum and NOT ONE FISH!!!
.
Cam and Olivier on the toboggan behind the 4-wheeler. Oliver's dad, Dominic drove them around for a while. Then Olivier took over. I was really impressed with this 6-year-old's skill. He pulled Cameron on the toboggan at 15 km/hour! Then they went for a ride together. They even let Cameron try it and he was really good!!!
.
We packed a picnic lunch and these kids found a warm-ish place to eat. Good thinking!
.
Darcy went a step above and simply asked for the "Jeep!"...that's my smart cookie! She ended up spending a lot of time in there. She's never in the front seat, so she explored all the buttons and knobs and locked us out. Luckily I had a spare key in my pocket. She even tried to drive the Jeep, as you'll see in the video below.
.
My view from inside the Jeep as the men were packing up everything. At this point (we'd been there about 3 hours), my feet were numb, I had to pee, Darcy surely had a wet bum and NOT ONE FISH!!!
.
As I was sitting there warming up, the men were chatting as the 2 boys were playing "closing up the holes"...Cam's leg started to disappear down a hole! I knew he would not fall in or break the ice or anything, but he would be very cold!! "Kevin, get him out!!!" I yelled out the window. We had spare socks, but no spare boots, and his boot was very wet. Good thing we were leaving anyway.
It was fun and I could see how much more fun it would have been with a nice warm place to sit, play, have a drink and go to the bathroom! Maybe next year...
.
No comments:
Post a Comment